Tractor Trailer Accidents
Also referred to as big rigs, semi trailers and mack trucks, tractor trailers are large motor vehicles that are vital to the transportation of food, textiles, petroleum and nearly any other commodity. The Department of Transportation (DOT) limits the size of tractor trailers to be no higher than 13.5 ft, no wider than 102 inches and no heavier than 80,000 lbs (gross).
There are a number of different types of tractor trailers that are uniquely tailored to transport a distinct type of cargo. Specific types of tractor trailers may include:
- Car haulers
- Flatbed trucks
- Refrigerated trucks
Despite their vital role in the transportation of commodities, however, semi trucks have been known to cause serious, fatal accidents due to:
- Driver intoxication, inexperience or fatigue
- Failure to obey traffic laws
- Poor road and weather conditions
- Strict deadlines and incentives to deliver cargo as soon as possible
- Vehicle part malfunctions, defects or failures
If you or a loved one was involved in a tractor trailer accidents and would like to see if qualify to recover damages, contact our truck accident lawyers.
Tractor Trailer Accident Statistics
- About 5,000 Americans are killed in the 500,000 truck accidents that occur each year in the U.S
- Truck accidents make up around 12 percent of all traffic accidents
- Tractor trailer accidents are considered to be the most dangerous type of truck collision, as individuals in other smaller cars are killed 98 percent of the time they get into accidents with tractor trailers
- More than 75 percent of tractor trailer accidents are caused by the drivers of other cars - not the truck drivers
Tractor Trailer Accident Attorney Help!
When negligence, carelessness or recklessness plays a role in a trucking accident, victims will have a legal accident claim and should meet with an esteemed injury accident lawyer to learn more about the process associated with pursuing a legal claim. If you've been injured in a tractor trailer accident and think you may benefit by discussing your case with a legal professional, contact our truck accident attorneys for help today.
Need Legal Help?
Call Today: (800) 773-6770
Contact us for free information or to start a free case review.