NuvaRing® Yeast Infections
Produced by Organon, NuvaRing® is a vaginal contraceptive ring that, over a three-week period, slowly releases the hormones estrogen and progestin to prevent pregnancy by up to 99 percent.
NuvaRing® was first approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in October 2001.
However, despite being an effective method of contraception, NuvaRing® is also known to cause a range of mild to serious side effects. On the milder side, yeast infections can affect up to 14 percent of the women using NuvaRing®. While not life-threatening, yeast infections can be uncomfortable and painful.
It's important that women using NuvaRing® are aware of symptoms of yeast infections so they know when to pursue the appropriate treatments.
Yeast Infection Symptoms
Women using NuvaRing® may have developed a yeast infection if they start experiencing:
- light vaginal bleeding
- pain when urinating or during intercourse
- vaginal itching or irritation
- white, thick vaginal discharge (similar to cottage cheese)
To definitely diagnose a yeast infection, doctors will typically:
- review a woman's sexual history (including her history of sexually transmitted diseases, STDs)
- conduct a pelvic exam
- gather a sample of vaginal discharge for further analysis
NuvaRing® and Yeast Infection Treatment
In most cases, it won't be necessary for women to see a doctor after developing a yeast infection, as long as:
- They have a history of yeast infections, and they are experiencing the same symptoms as they have during past outbreaks
- They are confident that they have a yeast infection
If women are experiencing new symptoms or aren't sure if they have a yeast infection, it's important that they see their doctor for a proper diagnosis.
NuvaRing® and Yeast Infection Medication
Commonly, treatments for NuvaRing® yeast infections include:
- antifungal creams or suppositories (such as Vagistat or Monistat)
- oral antifungal drugs (such as Diflucan)
Such over-the-counter yeast infection medications are highly effective at curing the condition.
However, should symptoms persist after using yeast infection medications, it's essential that affected women see their doctor for a thorough exam, as the general symptoms of yeast infections may be caused by another, more serious underlying condition.
More Serious NuvaRing® Side Effects
On rare occasions, NuvaRing® has been reported to cause some severe, potentially fatal side effects, including (but not limited to):
- blood clots
- heart attack
- severe allergic reactions
- liver damages
- gallbladder disease
Women with the greatest risk of developing such serious NuvaRing® side effects include those who are over the age of 35 and/or have with a history of:
- blood clots, heart attack or stroke
- high blood pressure
- recent surgeries
Should a NuvaRing® user sustain serious health complications after using this contraceptive device, she should:
- Seek emergency medical care to prevent further damage to her health
- Follow through with all prescribed treatments for the best possible outcomes
- Meet with an experienced NuvaRing® attorney for a free initial consultation to find out if they are entitled to a settlement for their injuries and losses
Have you or a loved one been injured after using NuvaRing®? If so, contact us today to talk to an experienced NuvaRing® lawyer who will thoroughly evaluate your case and help you recover compensation for any damages incurred.
Need Legal Help?
Call Today: (800) 889-3898
Contact us for free information or to start a free case review.