Medtronic and Spine Products
Medtronic Spine ImplantsMedtronic makes a variety of implants for the spine. These include:
- The Prestige Cervical Disc - This stainless steel artificial disc is inserted in place of a diseased or bulging disc in the neck and allows the area to be moveable and flexible. It is used as an alternative to spinal fusion, which can result in loss of motion and flexibility.
- The CD Horizon Legacy Spinal System - This device is a series of rods, hooks, and screws implanted during spinal surgery, to correct scoliosis or abnormal side-to-side curvature of the spine. - It is made of titanium or implantable-grade stainless steel.
- Infuse Bone Graft and LT Cage Device. This replaces the need to take bone from the hip to use in reconstruction of an area of the spine. The device consists of two parts. One is a bone graft substitute, a protein (recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2) that everyone already has in their bodies. The protein regulates bone growth and healing. The other is a type of framework which the new bone grows into.
- Kyphon Balloon Kyphoplasty. This is a minimally invasive procedure used to treat kyphosis, a curvature of the spine that makes a person hunch over. It helps to prevent future spinal fractures.
- X-Stop Spacer. This is a device implanted using minimally invasive surgery. It is used to treat patients with lumbar spinal stenosis, or a narrowing of the spinal canal.
Medtronic Spine and Biologics
Medtronic's second largest business is their Spinal and Biologics Business. It accounted for $3.0 billion (22 percent) of the company's $13.5 billion in revenue in fiscal year 2008. The manufacturing firm collaborates with medical and research personnel worldwide. Among the treatments they offer treatment are:
- Minimal Access Spine Technologies (MAST) to treat spine pain
- Fusion systems to correct spinal curvatures and stabilize the spine
- Artificial cervical discs to implant in place of degenerated or damaged discs in the neck
- Infuse Bone Graft, a biological substance that helps the body to grow its own bone and avoid the need to harvest bone from elsewhere in the body
These therapies are used to treat neurological, orthopedic, spinal, and oral maxillofacial problems.
Medtronic Spine Surgery
Medtronic manufactures a number of surgically implantable devices to treat a variety of problems and pain of the spine. A main benefit of its products is being able to treat the conditions without doing extensive surgery.
The problems they treat include herniated discs, scoliosis, kyphosis, lumbar spinal stenosis and degenerated discs. Medtronic cautions patients that along with the benefits of their therapeutic products, there are also risks inherent in surgery of the spine.
When Something Goes Wrong
If you had a problem with a Medtronic device and would like to find out if you qualify to seek compensation for the injuries and losses you've incurred, contact our Medtronic lawyers. We are available to take on new injury cases for people and families affected by defective products and are here to help you. We provide free consultations.
Need Legal Help?
Call Today: (888) 803-7598
Contact us for free information or to start a free case review.