Oral Sodium Phosphates: Fleet Phospho Soda Oral Saline
Also referred to as oral sodium phosphates (OSP), Fleet Phospho Soda saline solution is an oral medication used to cleanse the bowels prior to a colonoscopy, an x-ray or a surgery.
Fleet Phospho Soda is:
- generically known as sodium biphosphate
- made by C.B. Fleet
- only available via prescription
Despite being an effective laxative, however, OSPs have been found to cause serious kidney damage, including acute phosphate nephropathy and renal (kidney) failure. Patients who sustain severe kidney injuries after using Fleet Phospho Soda solutions will likely have a legal claim against C.B. Fleet and will be entitled to compensation for their injuries and losses.
If you or a loved one has been injured after using an OSP, talk to an experienced defective drug lawyer today to learn more about your legal rights.
Fleet Phospho Soda Side Effects: Acute Phosphate Nephropathy
In most cases, Fleet Phospho Soda solutions will only cause mild (if any) side effects, including headache, dizziness, bloating and nausea.
Rarely, however, OSPs have been reported to result in acute phosphate nephropathy, a life-threatening condition in which:
- Phosphate crystals develop on the kidneys
- The kidneys are seriously injured
- Kidney failure develops without immediate and appropriate treatments
Symptoms of acute phosphate nephropathy include:
- difficult urination
- high blood pressure
- lower back pain
- muscle twitches
Should patients using OSPs develop any of the above health complications, it's vital that they seek emergency medical care to save their lives.
FDA Warnings about Fleet Phospho Soda
On Dec. 12, 2008, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a national alert regarding the side effects associated with using Fleet Phospho Soda saline solution.
Additionally, the FDA mandated that C.B. Fleet:
- Include "Black Box" warnings on all its OSP products (Black box warnings are the most severe type of FDA warning, as they highlight a drug's potential of causing fatal side effects.)
- Implement a risk evaluation and mitigation strategy (REMS) to limit the number of patients that may sustain kidney injuries in the future
- Provide Fleet Phosphate Soda patients with literature regarding this drug's serious side effects
- Conduct further clinical trials to precisely assess the risks associated with using OSPs
Following the FDA's actions, C.B. Fleet issued a voluntary recall of its over-the-counter OSPs.
Fleet Phospho Soda Lawsuits
OSP patients diagnosed with acute phosphate nephropathy or kidney failure should, once their health is stable, meet with an experienced defective drug attorney to see if they are eligible to file a Fleet Phospho Soda lawsuit against the makers of the defective drug. Injured patients will likely be able to recover compensation for their injuries, including:
- medical expenses
- ongoing treatment costs
- permanent disabilities
- pain and suffering
- lost wages and income due to the inability to work
Have you or a loved one sustained kidney damage after using the OSP known as Fleet Phospho Soda? If so, contact us today to speak with an experienced Fleet Phospho Soda lawyer who will help you recover the compensation you need and deserve.
Need Legal Help?
Call Today: (888) 803-7598
Contact us for free information or to start a free case review.