Avandia® Class Action Lawsuits
Avandia® class action lawsuits are cases in which multiple plaintiffs with similar injuries pool their legal claims and attempt to recover compensation from GlaxoSmithKline, the maker of Avandia® medication.
First approved by the FDA in 1999, Avandia® is an oral medication used in the treatment of type-2 diabetes — and NOT indicated for treatment of type-1 diabetes. Avandia® comes in pill-form and is generally prescribed to be taken in the morning and evening (with or without food).
However, while this medication is able to improve control over blood glucose levels, it has been found to cause a range of severe health complications, including (but not limited to) heart attack, severe allergic reaction and liver dysfunction.
Consequently, it's essential that diabetes patients:
- Discuss their complete medical history with their doctor before starting a course of Avandia®.
- Understand the types and symptoms of severe Avandia® side effects.
- Seek emergency medical care should they sustain serious health complications after taking Avandia®.
- Consult with a defective drug attorney who specializes in Avandia® lawsuits to find out more about their legal rights and entitlements.
Avandia® Class Action Lawsuits in 2007
In May 2007, a critical Avandia® study published in the medical journal known as Heart suggested that:
- Avandia® medication was more harmful than effective, as it raised the chances that diabetic patients would sustain a heart attack by up to 40 percent
- The FDA increase the intensity of the warning labels on Avandia® packaging to the most strict FDA warning, the black box warning
- The FDA consider recalling Avandia®
Although no national Avandia® recall was issued at the time FDA did vote to require GlaxoSmithKline to include black box warnings on Avandia® packaging. A number of Avandia® class action lawsuits were filed in an effort to compensate patients seriously injured after taking this medication.
How to Secure an Avandia® Class Action Settlement
When it comes to obtaining an Avandia® settlement, injured parties have a choice to file an individual Avandia® lawsuit or join an already-progressing class action lawsuit. An Avandia® class action lawsuit is most appropriate for plaintiffs who:
- have more minor Avandia® injuries
- do NOT want to participate in the day-to-day legal proceedings involved in winning an Avandia® settlement
- want to ensure that they recover compensation awards that are equivalent to those awarded to others with similar injuries (With individual Avandia® lawsuits, settlement awards can vary significantly for similar injuries based on the discretion of a jury, judge, arbitrator or mediator)
Meeting with an Avandia® Class Action Lawyer
Injured Avandia® patients can get a thorough evaluation of their cases, as well as expert advice regarding the best choices for their situation, during a free initial consultation.
Plaintiffs who choose to be represented by experienced, professional Avandia® class action lawyers will benefit from:
- Access to a network of medical experts who can verify their claims when official testimony is needed
- Aggressive representation in court, arbitration and/or mediation proceedings
- Delayed payment for legal services, as Avandia® attorneys work on contingency to encourage injured parties to stand up for their legal rights and seek the settlements they deserve
For more information about the current Avandia® class action lawsuits, contact us today.
Need Legal Help?
Call Today: (888) 803-7598
Contact us for free information or to start a free case review.